Monday, December 25, 2006

GG Update

This winter break has been enjoyable after completing my first semester. Thanks to hard work and almost certainly some divine intervention by God, I got all A's my first semester! Although it has been a lot, and I mean, A LOT of work, i've thoroughly enjoyed graduate school. I definitely feel like I'm in the right place right now. My studies are heavily centered on theory and research, rather than anything practical. But that will help prepare me for a PHd program if that's what God has in store for me.
My non-church related small group this semester has been a Christian group for grad students dedicated toward exploring ways to blend our academic studies with our faith. Whereas last year was the BPB ministry, this year my small group has been this Grad Resources group. We divided into two groups. The group I was in has been reading "The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex and The Meaning of Life" by Dr. Armand M. Nicholi, Jr. It's a very good book and I thoroughly recommend it. It's interesting to see the two competing worldviews. I don't know if I'll ever pull it off but I thought it would be interesting to get a Freud expert and a Lewis scholar to actually debate each other on these points in an educational forum on campus. That could be used as a good tool to draw non-believers. I think it's a good idea for someone to do, even if I or my group never does.
Anyway, it's been a good experience.
The other thing that has touched my heart is international students. One-fifth of the students in my master's program are international students. I've enjoyed befriending and learning about other cultures from my classmates from Korea, China, Taiwan, Russia and Africa. We play badminton together weekly, play basketball some, eat dinner together often and even go to church regularly (with one girl in particular). Some of the Koreans are already Christian, but I'm hoping some way God might use me to help share the gospel with the nonbelievers.
As for the principles of the BPB ministry, I'm the exact opposite of all of you: I'm taking on more and more debt, rather than eliminating it. But it's for school, which I'm hoping will pay off in the long run.
I'm also hoping to take advantage of all the opportunities afforded to me. I hope to take part in a study abroad program to France in May. I'll also go to New York as a student judge for the Peabody Awards. I'm not worthy of any of these opportunities so I must definitely give all the praise and glory to God for all of these things.
I have set this goal for New Year's past but I hope I actually acheive it this year: I want to read the Bible this year. I've never read the whole Bible. I hope I can remain faithful and grow in Christ as I consume the holy Word.
Yes, let's definitely get this blog going again. It can be a great resource. If nothing else, I enjoy hearing how everyone's doing. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home