Saturday, October 28, 2006

Your Crescent City connection

I've been getting reacquainted with my hometown over the past couple of months, and I have no regrets. New Orleans is nothing like what it was, even with the parts of the city that have been restored. But there's nowhere else I'd rather be right now.

That said, the APME convention was held here this week and I was invited to attend one of their sessions and an afterparty. I met numerous editors from Louisiana and elsewhere and now have a promising job opportunity. I talked with the editor of a newspaper in Lafayette, La., which is a two-hour drive from my parents and a one-hour drive from my sister. From what I understand, the newspaper recently went through some changes similar to the ones that took place at The Gazette -- including staffing and several new publications. But it seems in Lafayette, their goals are aimed more at long-term solutions to industry issues. And they have the budget to reach those goals. This could mean the end of my unemployed status.

In other news, my financial future is looking up. Since selling my house, I've had the pleasure of closing seven accounts, including one credit card account. And come December, I'll be able to close another credit card account. I have to tell you, the closer I get to financial freedom, the more free I actually feel. With my next career move, I'm going to do things a whole lot differently. I'll keep you posted on my progress. My favorite read right now: Mary Hunt's "Debt-Proof Living: The Complete Guide to Living Financially Free." My financial plan for the future will be based largely on what I've read in this book. Until later ...

k-young

1 Comments:

Blogger Mojoglo said...

Oops. I didn't see this post before. hahaha. Now I know where you're at! :) That's great news. Did you know the Gazette modified its front page about a month ago? The montronsity we endured is no more. It's still similar though. Kinda hard to explain. It looks better though definitely. There's two STORIES on the front page now! Wow! hehehe. You should come back to N.C. sometime soon. :) Johnny's Pizza Pad is waiting.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home